In July, Heartland Orthopedic Specialists celebrated 15 years of service in the Willmar community. Patients in need of specialized bone, joint and muscle care are encouraged to call (320) 214-7355 to be seen in ...Read More
Eric W. Nelson, M.D.
111 17th Avenue East
Alexandria, MN 56308
2800 1st Street South
Willmar, MN 56201
SpecialtiesSports Medicine, Shoulder & Elbow, Hand & Wrist, Hip, Knee, Joint Replacement Including Robotic-Assisted Joint Replacement
“My goal is to get you back in the game as quickly and safely as possible.”
As a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with subspecialty certification in sports medicine, Dr. Eric Nelson has extensive experience treating orthopedic and sports-related injuries and conditions for athletes and active individuals from all walks of life. His practice is focused on sports medicine, joint replacement, and the orthopedic treatment of the shoulder, elbow, hand, wrist, hip, and knee. He is committed to providing state-of-the-art nonsurgical and surgical orthopedic care, including robotically assisted surgery, to ensure each patient receives the personalized treatment they need and the compassionate care they deserve.
Dr. Nelson graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1991 before attending the University of Minnesota Medical School in Minneapolis, where he earned his medical degree in 1995. He went on to pursue advanced training in orthopedic surgery, completing his internship and residency at the University of Minnesota.
After his training in orthopedic surgery, Dr. Nelson served nine years in the United States Air Force, where he had the opportunity to gain valuable trauma experience during a combat tour in Iraq and had the distinct privilege of looking after the Air Force Academy hockey team that participated in three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.
At Heartland Orthopedic Specialists, Dr. Nelson proudly offers his experience and expertise to his patients with the continuous goal of improving the quality of life for the people of west central Minnesota.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Nelson enjoys traveling, fishing, hunting, playing golf, and spending time with his wife and two children.
Dr. Nelson offers consultation and care to patients at Heartland Orthopedic Specialists in Alexandria and Willmar.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate Degree: United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
- Medical Degree: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Certification: Sports Medicine by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
Previous Team Affiliations
- Former team physician for the United States Air Force Academy NCAA Division I Ice Hockey Team
- General Orthopedics
- Sports Medicine
- Published author in the Journal of Hand Surgery and American Journal of Sports Medicine
- Published author in the American Journal of Sports Medicine