Looking for safe exercise solutions and ways to combat cabin fever while soaking up some vitamin D during COVID-19, many area residents are taking to the great outdoors, including mountain biking and cycling. As sports medicine doctors, ...Read More
Jonathan (John) Harvey, M.D.
SpecialtiesFellowship-Trained Nonsurgical Sports Medicine
“When caring for patients, I feel it is important to first understand each person’s goals and expectations. Then, with these objectives in mind, work together to develop an individualized care plan to best fit these needs.”
Dr. John Harvey is a fellowship-trained nonsurgical sports medicine specialist with expertise in acute fracture care and the latest nonsurgical treatment strategies, including ultrasound-guided injections. He is dedicated to ensuring his patients receive the care they need for the best possible outcomes, and he feels privileged to help people get back to the activities they enjoy, whether that be organized sports or simply a walk by the lake.
A native of central Minnesota, Dr. Harvey received his undergraduate degrees from the University of Minnesota in Duluth before attending the University of Minnesota Medical School in Minneapolis. After that, he completed his residency at Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Florida, and later a fellowship in primary care sports medicine at the University of Minnesota.
Dr. Harvey chose to specialize in sports medicine because he has a passion for both athletics and helping people get back to doing what they love. He works closely with his patients to develop individualized care plans to fit their needs based on their unique goals and expectations.
As a sports medicine doctor, Dr. Harvey understands the benefits of living an active life. When not caring for patients, he enjoys activities such as broomball, basketball, beach volleyball, and golf as well as spending time with his family and traveling.
Dr. Harvey is available to see patients at Heartland Orthopedic Specialists in Alexandria.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate Degrees: Biochemistry/Molecular Biology and Chemistry, University of Minnesota, Duluth, MN
- Medical Degree: University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN
- Residency: Halifax Family Medicine Residency, Daytona Beach, FL
- Fellowship: University of Minnesota Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship, Minneapolis, MN
- Board Certification: American Board of Family Medicine
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine: American Board of Family Medicine
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Acute fracture care
- Ultrasound-guided injections