In July, Heartland Orthopedic Specialists celebrated 15 years of service in the Willmar community. Patients in need of specialized bone, joint and muscle care are encouraged to call (320) 214-7355 to be seen in ...Read More
Emily J.M. Monroe, M.D.
SpecialtiesFellowship-Trained Sports Medicine Specialist, Shoulder & Elbow, Hip, Knee, Joint Replacement Including Robotic-Assisted Joint Replacement
“I am invested in helping my patients understand their problems and treatment options so that we can reach a decision that best fits their goals.”
Dr. Emily Monroe is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and fellowship-trained orthopedic sports medicine doctor specializing in sports-related and activity-related bone, joint, and muscle injuries and conditions. In her practice, Dr. Monroe is dedicated to ensuring the best possible outcomes through comprehensive treatment and the latest evidence-based procedures, including fracture care, knee ligament reconstruction, shoulder arthroplasty, and minimally invasive joint arthroscopy. She is also invested in helping her patients understand their problems and treatment options so that, together, they can reach a decision that best fits their goals.
After receiving her undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, Dr. Monroe earned her medical degree from the University of Louisville School of Medicine in Kentucky. She later completed residency training in orthopedic surgery at the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University in Chicago, before receiving further training through an orthopedic sports medicine fellowship at the University of California in San Francisco.
As the daughter of a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Monroe had a fascination and deep respect for the field of orthopedic surgery from a young age, which was solidified through her medical training. Sports medicine allows the distinct privilege of working with athletes of all ages and skill levels, which is why she chose to specialize in the field. Dr. Monroe also understands the vast importance of having a healthy lifestyle, and when she’s not seeing patients, she enjoys being active with her husband and daughter through hiking, biking, and traveling.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate Degree: Chemistry, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN
- Medical Degree: University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Member, Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society
- Fracture care
- Hip arthroscopy
- Knee arthroscopy
- Knee ligament reconstruction
- Rotator cuff repair
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Shoulder stabilization
- Total shoulder replacement