Heartland Orthopedic Specialists and Alomere Health recently hosted an Ortho Night Out on May 25 at the Broadway Ballroom. This event marks the 10th anniversary of the event where over 100 attendees, some traveling as far as over 60-miles, ...Read More
Dennis P. Weigel, M.D.
111 17th Avenue East
Alexandria, MN 56308
115 West 2nd Street
Graceville, MN 56420
SpecialtiesShoulder & Elbow, Hand & Wrist, Hip, Knee, Joint Replacement Including Robotic-Assisted Joint Replacement & Direct Anterior Hip Replacement
“I enjoy seeing my patients return to their pre-injured activities.”
As a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Dennis Weigel offers experienced bone, joint, and muscle care for a wide range of patients. He specializes in general orthopedics with a focus in adult hip and knee reconstruction and sports medicine. Dr. Weigel is committed to providing state-of-the-art nonsurgical and surgical orthopedic care, including robotic-assisted joint replacement, to ensure each patient receives individualized treatment and compassionate service.
Dr. Weigel earned his undergraduate degree from Central College in Pella, Iowa. He continued his studies at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine in Iowa City, obtaining his medical degree in 1995. Following graduation from medical school, he was commissioned to the United States Army Reserve in 1995 and served as a major in the United States Army Reserve Medical Division. Subsequently, he pursued advanced training in orthopedic surgery as part of his residency at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics.
In addition to his extensive medical commitments, Dr. Weigel is dedicated to continuing medical education and has given numerous medical presentations. He has been published in The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, which is the gold standard for peer-reviewed scientific information in the field of orthopedics. He also enjoys spending time with his family, playing golf, hunting, fishing, and other water activities.
Dr. Weigel is available to see patients at Heartland Orthopedic Specialists in Alexandria and Graceville.
Education & Training
- Undergraduate Degree: Central University of Iowa, Pella, IA
- Medical Degree: University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Minnesota Orthopaedic Society
- Member, Mid-America Orthopaedic Association
- Alexandria Area High School
- University of Minnesota Morris
- Osakis High School
- West Central Area High School
- Brandon–Evansville High School
- Hancock High School
- Parkers Prairie High School
- Adult Hip and Knee Reconstruction
- Direct Anterior Hip Replacement
- Treatment and Care of Sports Injuries
- Use of Anchor Sutures to Repair Labral Avulsion of the Hip, A Brief Report, published in Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, 17:141-143, 1997
- Hybrid Total Hip Arthroplasty in Patients with Congenital Hip Dysplasia, presented at Johnston Lectureship in Hip Reconstruction, 1996
- High Energy Tibial Plateau Fractures: Knee Function at Longer Follow-up, presented at the 2000 Orthopaedic Trauma Association 16th Annual Meeting in San Antonio, TX, published in Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2002
- Tibial Plafond Fractures – Do These Ankles Function Over Time? Presented at the 2000 Orthopaedic Trauma Association 16th Annual Meeting in San Antonio, TX, published in Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2003