The sports medicine physicians at Heartland Orthopedic Specialists offer complete medical care to active people of any age and skill. From the dedicated athlete to the weekend warrior, our goal is to help each individual regain an active lifestyle and compete in sports at the highest level possible. Our physicians at our state-of-the-art facility care for all athletic injuries. You will benefit from the expertise of our sports medicine team that specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries due to athletic activity.
In 1994, our sports medicine program originated with the help of Mike Doyle, Douglas County Hospital’s first athletic trainer. Along with working in our physical therapy department, Mike outreached to Alexandria High School. It didn’t take long before other area schools saw the benefit of having an athletic trainer on site for their athletes, and Mike hired an assistant accordingly. Following that, Douglas County Hospital added an additional athletic trainer, and the Sports Medicine Center at Douglas County Hospital was established. Today, the Sports Medicine Center is the leader in West Central Minnesota for sports medicine services. From minimally invasive surgical techniques to nonoperative care and physical therapy, our sports medicine team is dedicated to restoring your function and mobility. With a staff of 10 athletic trainers and a fellowship-trained sports medicine orthopedic surgeon outside of the Twin Cities, the Sports Medicine Center is committed to getting area patients and athletes back to their favorite activities.
Sports Medicine Services Available
- Rehabilitation Services
- ImPACT Assessment and Concussion Management
- Internship Programs
- Peak Performance
- Sports Medicine Assistant Program
- School & Event Coverage
- News in Sports Medicine
Our Sports Medicine Providers are:
- Jefferson C. Brand, M.D.
- Eric W. Nelson, M.D.
- Dennis P. Weigel, M.D.
- Patrick E. Hurley, D.O.
- Thomas E. Dudley, M.D.
- Russell S. Sticha, D.P.M.
Our Sports Medicine Staff:
- Mike Doyle, M.B.A., A.T.C.
- Meagan Melchert, A.T.C.
- Rich Hardy, M.A., A.T.C., C.S.C.S., E.M.T.
- Chris Siegel, M.S., A.T.C., C.S.C.S., E.M.T.
- Paul Westerberg, M.A., A.T.C., O.T.C.
- Andrea Nelson, M.B.A., A.T.C., O.T.C.
- Jennifer Johnson, M.S., A.T.C., O.T.C.
- Matt Reinertson, A.T.C., O.T.C.
- Ashley Boutain, A.T.C., O.T.C.
- Scott Scholl, A.T.C., O.T.C.
- Amy Johanek, A.T.C.
- Char Ackerman, A.T.C.
- Jason Slivnik, M.S., A.T.C.
- Beth Swanson, M.Ed., A.T.C.
Other Sports Medicine Staff:
- Jefferson Senior High School—Alexandria
- Alexandria Beetles Baseball Team
- University of Minnesota Morris
- Alexandria Blizzard
- Osakis High School
- West Central Area High School
- Brandon–Evansville High School
- Minnewaska Area High School
- Hancock High School
- Parkers Prairie High School
- St John's University
- Alexandria Area Hockey Association